Hallway design in a private house: an overview of styles and design tips (74 photos)
Unlike a city apartment, suburban housing gives more freedom even at the construction stage. You can plan a spacious bright hall or limit yourself to a tiny entrance area — there is no universal recipe. In this article, we share ideas on how to design a hallway in a private house, with photos of beautiful examples.
Tips for arranging the entrance area in the house:
— Appropriate style
— Large entrance hall
— small hallway
From the entrance area in the apartment, the suburban hallway is distinguished not only by its size, which, by the way, will not necessarily be large.
- The footage can be anything — if you do not have a family residence with an area of \u200b\u200bthree hundred squares, most likely, a huge hall is simply not needed.
- Usually the architecture allows you to add windows. If there is such an opportunity, be sure to use it, because the main problem of urban corridors is the lack of natural light.
- This is a buffer between the house and the street. You may have a separate vestibule that keeps the heat inside, but sometimes the hall itself plays this role.
- Perhaps part of the space will be occupied by a staircase — this will take away several squares, it will be necessary to think over the storage and arrangement of furniture.
- The entrance area outside the city is even dirtier than in the apartment. Not only road dust and slush is brought here, but also earth from the garden, grass, sand, dirt from the paws of domestic animals. Therefore, special emphasis is placed on the practicality of the finish.
To choose the right area and shape of the room, understand what functionality it should perform. Enough hangers for outerwear and a door mat? Need a wide bench? Wardrobe or chest of drawers? Will children’s bikes be stored here? Based on this, it will become clear what the design of the corridor in your house should be.
How to save money on building and decorating a house: 7 non-obvious points
Whether the entrance hall in a private house will be modern, classic or something else depends on the overall style of the interior and architecture of the building. Let’s analyze the most popular directions and how to implement them in the input group.
For a luxurious interior for decades, classics are most often chosen.
This style is out of fashion, it involves durable materials and elegant environments that unite generations. The direction has gradations: from the traditional interior, which is created strictly according to the canons, to light «modernized» classics.
- Scope — spacious rooms, high ceilings, large windows.
- Symmetry at the heart of the composition.
- Noble palette: the base can be both light and dark. The main colors are beige, brown, white.
- Stucco as the main architectural decor.
- Only high-quality materials, mostly natural — wood, stone, precious metals, marble.
The classic assumes that the house has enough space to store all things (cloakrooms, pantries, a garage, a cellar are allotted for them), and the hall sets the tone and creates the right first impression.
There should be large mirrors, marbled tiles, massive lamps, pictures in curly frames, banquettes and chairs in high-quality textured upholstery.
Modern hallway design in the house
Completely different tasks are solved by a modern entrance hall in the house.
Contemporary, loft, eco, minimalism — all these areas are opposed to the classics, they suggest freedom with an emphasis on practicality. In a modern style, you can decorate both a chic mansion and a small house.
- Quality sustainable materials — from natural wood to microcement and recycled materials.
- Natural, pleasing to the eye shades, whether they are neutral bases or rich accents.
- A variety of textures that emphasize the palette, and sometimes even replace colors as such (wood, concrete, glass).
- Functional laconic furniture: built-in, modular, transformable.
The entrance group can be completely different: from strict minimalism to fashionable contemporary. Design examples are in the photo below.
Hallway in a modern style: an elegant and beautiful solution for any area
Any variations of country music, whether it be Provence, farm or Russian style, are ideal for country life.
This is the very essence of stylistics — closeness to nature and the desire for naturalness with all its imperfections.
- Warm natural tones. Brown, green, white, beige, blue and gray prevail.
- Natural materials — wood, stone, concrete, metal, rattan, straw, any wicker elements. The decoration often uses plaster, brickwork, wallpaper with natural ornaments.
- Decor with history, handmade, fresh flowers and dried flowers, lace.
- Rough textures.
Although formally Scandi belongs to modern trends, it should be discussed separately. This style is suitable for small houses, whether it is a cottage for seasonal living or a townhouse in a cottage village.
- Practical materials — wood, tiles, MDF, brick, plaster, washable wallpaper, etc.
- Calm light palette based on white, gray and beige. Complemented with brown, deep saturated shades (for accents), pastel tones.
- Simple furniture and decor, cozy textiles, connection with nature through natural colors and materials.
Scandinavian house: 4 wonderful projects where you want to settle
Design ideas for different areas
A large entrance hall in a private house gives freedom of choice: what colors, materials, storage systems and functional areas to use.
In a spacious room, it is important to fill the space correctly, so choose more massive furniture, large patterns, deep shades. Put a full-length mirror, organize a seating area. Of course, it’s not worth filling all surfaces with black, but it’s quite possible to play with contrasts.
- Zone the space. For example, highlight the entrance group, storage area, hanger, etc. with the help of furniture and decoration.
- Organize different storage systems: for dry outerwear, for wet clothes, for shoes, for suitcases, garden tools, sports equipment.
- Use multiple finishes. In a small area, it makes sense to limit yourself to one floor covering and wall paint, but in a large area it will be boring. For example, lay out the entrance area with practical tiles, and then lay laminate or parquet. For walls, you can also use different finishes.
Consider lighting. One chandelier is definitely not enough — it is better to allocate a central lamp for each zone and add local lighting where it is needed. For example, highlight mirrors, cabinets, paintings.
- Place accents. Over a large area, there is nothing for the eye to catch on. In this case, the situation merges into one monotonous mess, and neither expensive materials nor a noble palette will help. Create a trajectory for the eye: a bright ottoman awaits here, then a figured lamp, then a contrasting arch, etc.
Small entrance hall in a private house
When decorating the interior of a small hallway in a house, the eternal problem comes to the fore — how to place everything you need on a few square meters.
- Take storage to other rooms as much as possible. Use all available utility rooms to unload the hallway. Ideally, leave only the entrance group with a hanger, a place for street shoes and a mirror.
- If the footage is limited, sometimes it makes sense to abandon the closet. Instead, put a bench with drawers, a chest of drawers, a bookcase or an open hanger with shelves.
- To visually enlarge the space, choose light colors and plain surfaces for decoration. You can use patterns, but let them be small and low-contrast. And the strip will help adjust the proportions. For example, if the corridor is narrow, stick wallpaper with vertical stripes on short walls, and horizontal stripes on long ones.
- Do not cover windows with thick curtains. Natural light is a strong trump card that will add lightness to the space. Use translucent curtains, short fabric curtains, or give up window textiles altogether.
7 very useful solutions for your small hallway