Small Bedroom Design: 4 Best Styles, Design Tips & 84 Photo Examples
A small living room is a frequent occurrence both in Soviet-era apartments and in new buildings. With the right approach, even on 8-10 squares, you can place everything you need without sacrificing a beautiful and cozy design. In this article, we tell you what to consider when thinking through the design of a small bedroom: from a suitable style to the selection and placement of furniture.
How to furnish a small bedroom
— Color spectrum
Choose a style
Some interior styles are designed for large spaces, so they do not look so good in a limited area. But there are enough directions that are great for a small room.
Contemporary is a universal style. It can look completely different, it does not have strict canons and mandatory requirements for the footage of the room. The main thing —
- Natural and calm colors. Most often, the palette is built on natural tones: beige, white, gray, brown. The interior can be made neutral or bright accents can be added — but always in natural, eye-pleasing shades without excessive variegation.
- Durable materials — natural, high-quality synthetic, innovative.
- Comfortable minimalism — there should not be a lot of things in the room so that there is no feeling of clutter. First of all, the functionality of each element of the interior is important.
- Light and air. In a small space, this is achieved with the help of competent zoning, the absence of massive furniture and blank partitions, light colors and various design techniques.
5 ultra-small bedrooms with everything you need
Of course, scandi remains in the top of suitable styles. It offers practical and cozy solutions, so it is ideal for compact apartments and for those who make repairs on their own.
- High-quality and environmentally friendly finishing materials: solid wood, veneer, MDF, paper or non-woven wallpaper, brick, decorative plaster, glass, tiles and porcelain stoneware.
- Light color range. The main color is white, it is complemented by shades of gray, brown beige. Black is used as accents, you can also dilute the neutral palette with rich natural shades: blue, dark blue, green, berry red.
- The abundance of wooden textures and textiles made from natural fabrics — together with a simple decor, they make the interior cozy.
- Open windows as much as possible to let in more natural light. Curtains are rarely abandoned in the bedroom, but thick curtains can be replaced with light tulle and almost imperceptible blackouts.
Making a bedroom in Scandinavian style: the most complete guide (76 photos)
Minimalism is appropriate not only in large apartments or country houses, but also in small rooms too.
It is important to understand: this is not just an exaggerated rejection of all things, but a conscious approach to the space around you. Minimalism can be different: ascetic, elegant, cozy.
Calm colors based on universal basic colors (gray, white, black, beige, brown). Often make out a monochrome interior.
- The simplicity of the palette is offset by a variety of textures.
- Simple silhouettes of furniture, clear lines, laconic forms.
- A minimum of decor and small things in plain sight, closed storage systems predominate.
- High-quality furniture and finishes that will last a long time, environmentally friendly materials.
Where to look for announcements of materials and fresh ideas for the interior? Subscribe to our channels! We publish beautiful selections, videos and reviews:
It is easy to see that among the successful styles for a small bedroom, almost all are modern. The classics really require space, but the neoclassical design is suitable for any area.
Despite the general canons (symmetry, the use of stucco decoration, noble colors and materials, appropriate decor), modern classics are not so “heavy”. When planning how to furnish a small bedroom in this style,
- Restrained elegant palette. Base — neutral colors. You can limit yourself to them, but most often they are complemented by more saturated accents. Pastel colors, deep muted shades of red, green, purple, blue are suitable for this role.
- Symmetrical composition — a bed is usually placed in the center, then a composition is formed around it from storage systems, decor and other elements.
- Quality materials — as well as the use of precious metals or their imitations.
Stucco molding — it should not be too much so as not to clutter up the space. Moldings are suitable (they also help to form a symmetrical composition of the interior), ceiling cornices, a socket for a chandelier.
Neoclassicism in the interior: features, design ideas and 90 stunning photos
Interior of a small bedroom
Let’s take a closer look at how to arrange furniture in a small bedroom, what colors, finishes and decor to choose.
The bedroom is a private room, so the color scheme should first of all please the owners. But still, there are general principles that will help you make the right choice, especially if you do not have a clear concept that must be implemented.
The palette can be light, dark and bright. For a small room, the first option is always winning. The fact is that light colors visually expand the space, make it lighter and more airy. Together with various design hacks (certain patterns, the use of mirrors, glossy surfaces, play of shades), you can adjust the proportions of the room and visually double the bedroom area. It is almost impossible to make a mistake with such colors — especially since they are well combined with each other in almost any combination. So,
- Light brown.
- Pastel shades.
Dark and bright colors can also be used, but they need to be handled carefully and thoughtfully. Be sure to balance with lighter shades, choose light furniture that will not overload the space, monitor the height of the ceiling, and open windows as much as possible. But if in the recreation area the chamber atmosphere is important for you in the first place or it’s hard for you to fall asleep surrounded by light colors, rich and deep shades are your option.
The issue of finishing in a tiny room is solved very easily: the simpler the better.
Light plain ceiling, non-contrasting flooring. The walls are smooth, best of all plain. It is undesirable to use bright accents and patterns, since there will be enough inclusions of decor and textiles on an area of 8-12 squares. If you still want to add an ornament to the walls, it should be non-contrasting, almost blending into the background. It can be simple geometry, abstraction or a small floral print. You can compensate for the brevity of the finish with the help of textures: for example, choose embossed wallpaper for painting or decorative plaster.
If the room is not just small in size, but also has a low ceiling, use a simple trick: paint the walls and the canvas in one light shade (ideally white) to blur the boundaries of the planes.
8 fresh ideas for decorating a really small bedroom
Now the most interesting and difficult thing is to pick up, as well as correctly position the furniture. In tiny rooms, it is these tasks that cause the most difficulties.
- Decide on your minimum set — furniture that you definitely need. A bed is a must, but everything else varies. For example, if the apartment has a place for a dressing room or other options for storing clothes, a spacious closet in the bedroom can be abandoned in favor of a small chest of drawers or a floor hanger. You may need a workspace or a corner for a baby bed. Standard bedside tables can be replaced with a compact shelf above the headboard.
- Next, you can plan the location of all elements. The shape of the room is important here: rectangular or square. It is easier to arrange furniture in a square room — just choose the center of the composition (usually a bed) and place objects, starting from it. The elongated shape requires ingenuity: perhaps a bedroom set for a small bedroom will have to be placed against the window or at the end. It is also important to maximize the use of vertical surfaces: for example, replace the same bedside tables with shelves or make wall cabinets.
- Do not forget to take into account the rules of ergonomics. There should be a passage to the bed (at least minimal), in front of the doors and drawers — free space to open them.
When choosing furniture, look for non-standard solutions. In small spaces, transformers help out a lot: for example, a folding sofa (especially if the living room is combined with the living room) or a wardrobe bed. Take a closer look at more compact analogues of standard models. If there is very little space, it makes sense to put a lorry in the bedroom instead of a large double bed — in some situations, the centimeters won are critically important. Use hanging furniture or products with thin legs — this visually lightens the space. Use all possible storage places: above the headboard, around the window, in a niche, under the bed.
In a small room, there should not be too many decorations — because of them, the space may seem cluttered.
Small rooms are cozy enough on their own, so a couple of touches will suffice:
- Pairs of paintings or posters in laconic frames or without them at all.
- An elegant mirror — it will additionally reflect the light and increase the space.
- Decorative candles, vases, figurines.
Live plants in laconic pots — if there are few free surfaces, choose hanging pots.
- Beautiful wall sconces or table lamps.
Pay special attention to textiles — it will give the room a feeling of warmth and comfort, add bright colors. Choose a beautiful natural fabric bedding set, a high-quality mattress, not too thick and heavy curtains. You can add decorative pillows and bedspreads, lay a carpet on the floor. Ornaments and bright shades are appropriate in textiles, but be careful — in a small space it is better to limit yourself to 2-3 colors and patterns.
6 beautiful designer bedrooms that break interior stereotypes