Options for filling the closet in the hallway: useful tips and 76 photos
The apartment does not have a pantry, but is it inconvenient to go to the balcony for every little thing? A well-planned storage system in the corridor will solve these problems. In this article, we will find out what options for filling the closet in the hallway can be used and what to look for when choosing a storage system.
We select and fill the closet in the entrance area
What to look out for
Dimensions and compartments
— 1 section
– 2 sections
– 3 sections
— 4 or more
We design ourselves
Door opening type
What’s in fashion
What to look out for
Any apartment, like a theater, begins with a hanger. Or rather, from the hallway. This is the room that welcomes us. And this space gives us the first idea about the house. So, the furniture in the corridor should be appropriate for the interior of the entire apartment, set the tone.
But that’s not all. It is in the corridor that the main storage place is often organized. Unlike the bedroom, where only clothes, linen and home textiles are usually stored, in the corridor the wardrobe functions as a mini-pantry. They place clothes, shoes, hats, bags, suitcases, as well as vacuum cleaners and ironing boards, tools, sports equipment, up to bicycles, and various household items. Well-designed, spacious storage is a must here.
And we must not forget that the corridor is the place where we go from the street. There is always more moisture and dirt. And this is a passage space, through which we bring into the house, including overall objects. So the wardrobe, like other furniture, must be resistant to water, mechanical damage, made of durable, easy to clean materials.
Which closet to choose in the hallway: 6 current options
Storage system dimensions and compartments
Cabinet or built-in, hinged or compartment — the internal organization of the storage system largely depends on the specific model of the wardrobe. For example, a single-door swing and two-door wardrobe in the hallway will have different filling.
There is a fairly wide range of sections from which you can choose the ones you need. We list the compartments with sizes that are considered the most convenient.
The depth of the swing wardrobe should be at least 60-65 cm, sliding — 10 cm more. Next, we determine the heights of the branches:
- For long outerwear (coats, raincoats, trench coats, fur coats, down jackets) — 1.4-1.7 m.
- For short outerwear (jackets, short down jackets, windbreakers, vests) — from 90 cm to 1.15 m.
- Short shoes (boots, sneakers, sneakers, shoes) — 20-25 cm.
- High shoes (boots) — not less than 50 cm. It can reach 80 and even 90 cm, depending on the set of your shoes.
- Hats, seasonal items in boxes — about 50-60 cm.
- Bags, briefcases, travel bags — 50-60 cm.
- Section with mesh baskets or drawers for small items: scarves and neckerchiefs, hats, gloves. Its height depends on the number of sliding elements.
You can also provide a place for household items, such as tools, a vacuum cleaner, an ironing board. Sometimes even washing machines and dryers are placed in the closet in the hallway. It will be convenient to lay the dimensions of the compartments in accordance with your appliances or household items.
If you love sports, be sure to leave room for your sports equipment: balls, rackets, snowboard, skis, or even, if space permits, a bicycle. Examples of filling cabinets in the hallway — in the photo below.
Wardrobe in the hallway: tips for choosing and 94 photos in the interior
Where to look for announcements of materials and fresh ideas for the interior? Subscribe to our channels! We publish beautiful selections, videos and reviews:
Usually there are three main storage areas: lower, middle and upper. This is especially true in the hallway. Shoes and bags are placed at the bottom. In the middle — directly outerwear. On the mezzanine — something that is rarely used, suitcases or seasonal items. If we are talking about a swing structure, you can use the inside of the doors to organize storage. For this, there are special organizers and hangers.
Suitable for small space. The minimum width is about 45 cm. Usually, with such a structure, either only shelves are placed inside, or only a bar for several hangers. It is better to make shelves large, because voluminous things are often stored in the corridor. At the bottom you can find a place for a small shoe rack or drawers.
The minimum width is about 1 m. There is already a little more space for creativity. You can place both shelves and a crossbar for hangers, and in the lower part — a shoe rack and drawers or drawers. With a standard wardrobe height of 2 meters, and shelves of 40 cm, it will be possible to design up to 5 shelves.
The minimum width is about 130-140 cm. Even more freedom of choice. You can place two compartments with rods, and in the middle — shelves. Or, on the contrary, give more space for shelves and drawers, and place a bar for hangers in the middle. With this design, you can already think about how to make separate compartments for shoes of different heights in the lower part. And in the upper — mezzanines for large items, hats that are not used too often, or for seasonal items.
4 or more sections
This is a complete wardrobe. The width can exceed 2 m. Here there is a place for a variety of solutions that we talked about above: a compartment for suitcases or travel bags, for everyday bags and briefcases, backpacks. You can make room for sports equipment, compartments for low and high shoes, for mesh baskets and drawers, for shelves for hats. Divide outerwear into different compartments depending on the length. Here you can also store household appliances and organize a washing unit.
To equip the wardrobe, you can use additional elements, such as hanging organizers, baskets, wardrobe lift — pantograph.
Instructions for filling the closet: how to plan storage to fit everything
Tips for designing your closet
- Measure the space that you are ready to take under the wardrobe: length, depth, height.
- Conduct a wardrobe audit for the entire family. Think about what things and how much you are going to store in the hallway. Sort them in accordance with the list above — you can sort them into piles for clarity. If necessary, measure the length of the garment.
- Perform the same procedure with other items that will be stored in the corridor.
- Write down how many sections, for what categories of things and what sizes you need.
- Draw! It is possible on a sheet in a box, it is possible in a special program on a computer. It is better to start with the largest compartments — those where hangers for outerwear are placed. And then move on to shelves and drawers. Collect all the fragments you need in a single space, taking into account the overall dimensions and the size of individual modules.
By design, cabinets are cabinet or built-in. Each of the models has its own characteristics in the organization of filling.
This is a stand alone piece of furniture. It has side, top, bottom and back walls. It is to them that the bars and shelves are attached.
It is designed without back and side walls, usually fits into a niche. Installation of filling occurs to the walls of the room or on the frame.
Perhaps the most interesting in terms of content. It differs from the usual built-in one in a larger area, as well as in the depth of the internal space. In fact, this is already a mini-dressing room.
There are also
Wardrobe: types, filling ideas and 70 beautiful photos
Built-in or cabinet. It differs in that in addition to the most closed wardrobe, there are modules with open hangers, with a mirror, shelves, a bench and others.
Swing or coupe?
By the type of door opening there are swing wardrobes and compartments. A few years ago, the latter were the undisputed leaders. There is an explanation for this. Often these models are built-in. So — more options for filling the closet in the hallway. It seemed that swing structures would no longer be able to regain their former positions. But the designers decided otherwise. Therefore, both types are now popular.
Features of the swing model
They are straight and angled.
- Hinged doors save space inside the storage area. For sliding, special guides are needed — they “eat up” up to 10 cm of space.
- Convenience. Thanks to the hinged doors, you have access to all shelves and compartments at once. Whereas compartment doors, moving, close one or more sections.
- The doors themselves can be used to organize storage. For example, hang organizers or small hooks on them.
- Not suitable for a narrow space, you need a place to open the doors.
Filling and features of the wardrobe in the corridor
Still a popular model. And that’s why.
- Sliding doors allow you to install furniture in a narrow room.
- It can be both built-in and case. The built-in model allows you to use more diverse filling options, turn the closet into a mini dressing room.
- Higher than swing, price. The reason is the presence of sliding mechanisms and guides.
- Because of the guides, the internal space is “eaten up”.
- You can not immediately get access to the entire internal space, the moving door will close part of the compartments.
- It will not be possible to use doors for organizing storage.
Do-it-yourself wardrobe: drawings and step-by-step instructions
What’s in fashion
Much less often began to use glossy facades. A monophonic, matte finish dominates. Mirror facades do not go out of fashion. But the fashion for drawings on the mirror is a thing of the past. The mirror surface must remain clean and smooth.
Transparent facades made of glass, white or colored, have become fashionable and securely strengthened. For example, caramel.