How to make your own dressing room: tips for placement, planning and assembly
The organization of a separate corner for storing things is convenient. And professional designers are trying to use square meters so that this becomes possible. We will analyze how to make a dressing room with your own hands and all the related questions.
All about the arrangement of wardrobe rooms
All for and against
— under the stairs
— Out of the closet
— From a niche
— In the pantry
Types of dressing rooms
Tools and materials
Stages of organization
— Installation of partitions and finishing
— Installation of filling
Dressing room project ideas
Dressing room: pros and cons
It may seem that this is an unreasonable waste of precious free centimeters of space. We have collected arguments for and against such a decision.
- There will be more free space in other rooms. Given that bulky cabinet cabinets are not needed, the room is “decluttered”, visually becomes more spacious and airy.
- With skillful organization of storage, all free corners are used to good use. Even in a small area, you can fit a lot of things.
- Easier to tidy up. Storage systems are completely hidden from view. Shoes and clothes are collected in one place, they are easier to keep in order.
- Save time on packing, because the entire wardrobe is collected in one place. This allows you to quickly complete items, select a new image. You can change clothes here, completely maintaining privacy.
- You can use the room as a mini-hozblok. Large items that interfere in living rooms are stored here. You will find a corner for a vacuum cleaner, steam generator, ironing board.
- Fully equipping a dressing room is cheaper than buying cabinet or built-in furniture. Moreover, with a lack of funds, you can equip it gradually by buying or assembling furniture structures on your own.
- The need to allocate space. Sometimes redevelopment is required, which is associated with the need to obtain permission.
- Ventilation is required. In a tightly closed room, all things will acquire an unpleasant musty smell.
- In small spaces there is another problem. If the room is without doors, things will gather dust.
5 steps to an organized wardrobe (and no mess!)
Wardrobe filling options
The arrangement of the wardrobe involves choosing the most convenient storage system for the owner. There are three types.
A set of cabinets, shelves and drawers made of wood or wood-based panels of various shapes, sizes and content. It is desirable that the possibility of changing the height and configuration of the «stuffing» of the lockers be implemented. In the case of self-manufacturing, it becomes the most inexpensive solution, which is considered its advantage. There are other benefits as well.
- Closed compartments where much less dust gets in.
- With proper planning, every centimeter «works».
- Large selection of designs and colors.
- Possibility to choose material and price.
- Dismantling and subsequent assembly at a new location is possible. But at the same time, the design will have to be customized: sawing and cutting parts.
- It will be possible to save only if you have the skills to independently plan furniture and assemble it. Otherwise, the order will cost much more.
Wardrobe: types, filling ideas and 70 beautiful photos
This is a metal frame on which modular elements are attached: baskets, shelves, etc. All this looks like metal multifunctional rack-type cabinets. Are issued in different complete set.
- Easy remodeling. Modular elements are easy to swap or rearrange. If necessary, you can always buy new modules.
- Efficient ventilation. Nothing prevents the free circulation of air.
- Dismantling with subsequent installation at another place is possible. In this case, no difficulties arise.
- The system is quite strong and durable.
- Fastening the base directly to the wall, which requires drilling a large number of holes.
- Modules from different manufacturers cannot be combined with each other. Adaptation of elements to individual sizes is also impossible.
- High price.
6 options for arranging a wardrobe in a small apartment
Tubular, she is a joker system
Its basis is a set of furniture pipes, from which various structures are assembled with the help of additional elements. The tubes are connected at different angles, they are complemented by fasteners for shelves and mirrors.
- Unlimited build options. If necessary, you can buy the missing parts or easily fit them in size.
- Elements are easily rearranged from place to place, well combined with other systems.
- Well tolerated dismantling and reassembly. It is possible to build and transform parts.
- Possibility of planning without drilling walls.
- High strength and durability.
- Possibility of installation in rooms with uneven floors and walls.
- There is no choice of colors. Only chrome pipes are used.
- Quite complex for self-design.
Different types of storage systems can be combined. Combinations of cabinet and joker or mesh and cabinet furniture are in demand.
Let’s move on to filling. It is selected according to the needs of the owner and can consist of different elements that can be easily combined with each other. Let’s list the main ones.
7 best wardrobe ideas
Possible storage systems
- Barbells or pantographs. For short items such as jackets, blouses or jackets, choose a bar fixed at a height of 100-130 cm. To store long clothes, the bar is raised to a height of 160-165 cm. A pantograph is convenient. This is a «clothing elevator» that descends and rises to the desired height. Bars can be not only straight, but also curved. For example, in a corner room, a spiral product is appropriate.
- Hangers for skirts and trousers. There are double and single models, with or without special clothespins. They are placed at a height of at least 60 cm. Retractable hangers are especially convenient, they save free space.
- Shelves. There are a lot of options on how to make shelves in the dressing room. Their sizes are determined depending on the location and destination. So, for the upper tier, models with a height of 50-60 cm are preferable. Overall items are laid on them: out-of-season outerwear, travel bags, etc. On the middle tier, it is better to install shelves no higher than 30-40 cm. Linen and home textiles are folded on them. Too deep shelves are inconvenient. If the depth is more than 100 cm, it will be problematic to reach the opposite edge.
- Boxes. At least some of them should be closed so that the contents do not become dusty. Depending on the size, they are used for storing various items. It is good if they extend to the full depth or at least 3/4. For ease of use, they are equipped with closers and a transparent front wall. So you can see what’s inside.
- Baskets or boxes. They are made from different materials. Standard models are placed on shelves, equipped with a pull-out mechanism or wheels, roll out or pull out. It’s much more convenient. Available with or without lids. Usually, a sticker is glued to the front panel, which describes the contents of the basket.
- Holders for accessories. Designed for ties, belts, scarves. It can be hanging or multi-tiered hangers, flat drawers with dividers, panels with hooks.
- Shoe modules. Keeping shoes on the shelves is not practical. Therefore, other devices have been developed. It can be multi-row inclined or straight shelves, pads or hangers, bars with clothespins for boots, and so on. Well, if they are covered with transparent panels. Then the shoes do not gather dust, but at the same time they are clearly visible.
5 perfect wardrobes from famous movies
How to make a dressing room: 6 options for placement
In the house, a room for storage is allocated at the planning stage or later during the distribution of premises. In typical apartments, they are rarely provided. Therefore, a suitable solution has to be found. We will analyze several possible options, from what and where you can make a dressing room with your own hands.
In the hall
It’s good if the owner has a spacious hall at his disposal, part of which can be taken away for arranging a storage system. In this case, a partition is placed that divides the corridor into two rooms. The size and shape of the wardrobe are chosen, guided by their preferences.
In small apartments, there are two solutions to how to make a dressing room in the hallway. The first is for long, but wide enough halls. A storage system is placed on one of the walls. It is optimal to choose closed cabinet furniture, possibly with mirrored doors. So it will be possible to visually expand a small space. The second option is for square or close to them layouts. In this case, one corner is fenced off with a partition, a storage system is arranged inside it.
Before and after: 7 closets and wardrobes where they put things in perfect order
In the bedroom
It is customary to store clothes in the bedroom, so this decision is considered very appropriate. The place for the storage system is determined based on the shape of the bedroom. If it is too elongated, it is best to fence off the area across the room. The bedroom will receive the correct proportions, it will become more comfortable and attractive. In fairly spacious rooms of a square and close to it shape, the corner placement of the dressing room is preferable. It is separated by a stationary partition with doors or a thick curtain.
Everyone’s dream is a dressing room in the bedroom: how to arrange it correctly and fit it even into a small space
under the stairs
The free space under the flight of stairs is deep enough to accommodate the storage area. There are many arrangement options. You can make an open-type wardrobe or with doors: sliding or hinged. A modular design, which is assembled from retractable or withdrawable elements, is also suitable. Hangers-beams, shelves, boxes are placed inside such blocks.
From the closet
A boring wardrobe, if desired, can be easily converted into a wardrobe. The layout depends on the available space. The filling is taken out of the old cabinet, leaving only the frame, which will become the basis of the new design. It is installed in place, the filling is mounted. You can do otherwise. Use old furniture as cabinet storage. Take some of the elements unchanged, change and redo something.
From a niche
If the dimensions of the niche allow, shelving and shelves are arranged inside. It remains only to put the doors: hinged, sliding or coupe. You can leave the wardrobe open, but then it should look attractive and kept in order, or close it with a thick fabric curtain. Small niches are supplemented with a drywall construction, expanding to the desired size.
In the pantry
In old apartments, most often there is a small room without windows, which is called a pantry. Usually its area allows you to place a full-fledged dressing room inside. The filling can be any, it is placed along the walls or with the letter G. The doorway is closed with a curtain or any suitable door is placed.
Types of dressing room
The floor plan varies. Let’s analyze its main varieties.
A triangular shaped area is fenced off. Two adjacent walls serve as the base, between them is placed a facade. Any type of door or textile curtain can be used. In some cases, an open-type wardrobe is chosen. It also looks good in the corner. Racks, shelves and other content are placed along the walls. The place in front of them is used for changing clothes.
The dimensions of the triangle are not regulated. It can be regular or elongated. It all depends on the availability of free space. The facade with doors is not always made straight. If its shape is close to a semicircle, there will be much more space inside the fenced off zone. In this case, the main room will lose practically nothing. This is a good idea for a small dressing room. The partition can not always be placed in an arc, so a broken line is more often used.
Linear or unilateral
The location of the racks along one of the walls. There may be two options. In the first door is located opposite the cabinet. In this case, the distance between the opening and the drawers must be at least 0.8 m. Otherwise, it will be extremely inconvenient to use the furniture. The doorway in the narrow end is more convenient, it is easier to find things and change clothes. The minimum width of the room in this case should be 1.2 m, taking into account the depth of the racks of about 0.55-0.6 m.
Parallel or double sided
Shelves are placed in two rows, one opposite the other. A practical and roomy option, provided that the dimensions of the room allow it. Its length can be any, but the minimum width is 1.5 m. In this case, it will be possible to place furniture 0.55-0.6 m deep on one side, and narrower cabinets on the other. If it is planned to install racks of the same depth, a width of at least 1.8 m will be required.
Three walls are used for storage systems, on which racks or shelves are installed. Narrow spaces should not be used. Those whose shape is close to a square will do. The U-shaped option is considered one of the most practical, because it makes it possible to place a large number of things. At the same time, it is convenient to use such a wardrobe.
Necessary tools and materials
Wardrobe partitions can be made of different materials. Most often, drywall or wood-based boards such as chipboard, plywood, etc. are used. If this option is implemented, then a metal profile or wooden blocks will be required to assemble the frame. Self-tapping screws are used as fasteners. The finished partition is puttied, leveling the marks from the fasteners, then painted or wallpapered.
Filling can be purchased. This is done with mesh and tubular systems. Cabinet furniture can be assembled by hand. To do this, they order cutting chipboard according to their measurements or redraw parts from dismantled old cabinets or tables. In the latter case, after the final assembly, new racks and shelves are painted to make the design look aesthetically pleasing.
If a closed system is mounted, doors will also be needed. They can be anything: swing, accordion or coupe. The latter option is chosen most often. Before making sliding doors to the dressing room, special attention should be paid to the quality of the fittings. It is important to choose rollers and guides according to the weight of the canvas and correctly mount them. Otherwise, they will not be able to work properly.
Stages of independent organization of the dressing room
We will analyze in stages how to independently plan and make a dressing room.
This is a very important stage at which a detailed plan for the future storage system is built. It is important to correctly determine the type and location of the filling. In order not to be mistaken, we suggest following a few simple steps.
- We determine how many people will use the wardrobe. For each user, ideally, you should allocate your own zone.
- We determine what should be stored in the room. In addition to shoes and clothes, it can be bed and table linen, home textiles, travel bags, sports or household equipment.
- We sort things. We find out what will be stored on the shelves, what is suspended. Based on this, we determine the number of rods and shelves or baskets. Be sure to make an increase “in reserve”, because over time the number of things changes.
- Determine the height of the rods for long clothes. To do this, we measure the longest models.
- We draw up a sketch of filling the wardrobe. In doing so, we take into account tiering. We give the middle tier for clothes that are often used. We raise seasonal items, travel bags, inventory, home textiles to the upper tier. Shoes are often stored on the lower tier. Knowing the number of shelves and rods, we build a rough plan.
- We supplement the approximate scheme with dimensions. For clarity, we cut out of paper exactly on the scale of the model of cabinets and shelves, place them on the plan. We move, choosing the optimal placement. We make a list of the necessary equipment, we add it to the plan.
The scheme obtained in this way is being finalized. If possible, it is necessary to make personal zones for all wardrobe users. It is good if there is a place for a large mirror, pouffe or bench.
16 Best Home Design Software
There must be a light source in the room, preferably not one. For overhead lighting, choose recessed spotlights or a flat chandelier. It will not interfere with dressing. It is optimal to select lamps with a warm shade, as close as possible to natural light. They distort colors the least, which is very important when choosing an outfit. You can highlight the mirror area, shelves and interior cabinets.
LED strips or flat lamps are also placed here. A good solution would be to install a sensor that will turn on the lighting when the door is opened. It is necessary to consider the need to install an outlet. You may need more than one. Especially if the room is large and it has a corner for ironing.
A tightly closed room must be ventilated. Otherwise, the clothes will be saturated with the smell of mustiness. The best, but most difficult option is the installation of forced ventilation. To do this, a ventilation hole is arranged in the upper part of the wall, which is connected to a common ventilation system. An exhaust fan is mounted in the hole. Its operation is programmed by a timer or the device starts when the lighting is turned on.
For the influx of fresh air in the door leaf, you can also put a special ventilation grille. If it is not possible to install forced ventilation, install leaky doors, for example, folding doors or blinds. The ventilation grille in the swing door leaf will also help. This will allow natural air exchange. If this is not possible, you will have to periodically leave the doors open for ventilation.
4. Partition installation and finishing
Installation of the partition wall begins with the installation of the frame. It is assembled from a metal profile or a wooden bar. The finished structure is sheathed with plasterboard sheets or any other suitable material. Joints and dents from fasteners are sealed with putty, seams and corners are strengthened with sickle. The dried putty is cleaned. The base is now ready for finishing. This can be painting, in which case it is better to apply an additional layer of putty, or wallpapering.
The inside of the wardrobe also needs finishing. Finish the ceiling, put the lamps. Then lay the coating on the floor. It can be the same as in the whole house, or any other. Walls are painted or wallpapered. If the planes are uneven, it is advisable to align them before finishing. Otherwise, it may be difficult to install the content. Lastly, doors are mounted, if they are provided for by the project.
5. Mounting the storage system
Filling assembly is carried out in a fully finished room. It is easier to assemble systems bought in a store. They always come with detailed instructions that must be followed exactly. It is a little more difficult to mount the content designed by yourself. A pre-made scheme will help. The cut parts are laid out in the next room and gradually assembled on the spot. Start with one of the walls, then move on to the next. After the base is ready, retractable and hinged blocks are put in place.
10 common wardrobe mistakes (and how to avoid them)
Wardrobe Project Ideas
There are many options for arranging a storage room. We have collected interesting ideas, you can see them in our selection of photos.