House on 6 acres: 7 diverse projects and useful construction tips
Owning a home in the countryside is a dream for many. And often this dream remains so. Mainly because you want to immediately build a large solid house for the whole family. But you can comfortably spend time outside the city in a compact building. Today, architects offer convenient layouts for medium-sized and mini-sized houses. In this article, we will consider which projects and design options for a country house for 6 acres to choose, we will show good examples in the photo.
All about houses for a plot of 6 acres
What to consider before choosing
Suitable architectural styles
— Compact flathouse
— House made of glued laminated timber
– Frame house with a second light
— Temporary house
— Country house
— Mini house
What is important to consider before choosing a project
Before choosing the option of a country house, you need to make sure that it can really be placed on your site. Even if the area of the future building fits within the boundaries of the territory, this does not mean that you will receive a permit for such construction and be able to register the building. And here’s the thing.
- There are strict and clear standards for distances between buildings on the same site, as well as between buildings on your territory and on the territory of neighbors. So, the distance from the house to the neighbor’s fence should be at least three meters. To the road — at least five.
- According to fire regulations, the minimum distance between residential buildings varies from 6 to 15 meters. The exact figure depends on the material from which both buildings are built.
- It is necessary to take into account the permissible percentage of development of the site. That is, the percentage of the territory that is allowed to be occupied by real estate. This value can be found in the PZZ — land use and development rules — of your municipality. That is, a city or region. To take into account the area of \u200b\u200bthe building, the dimensions of its external perimeter along the base are taken. Includes protruding parts, such as a porch, terrace or veranda. Typically, the allowable percentage of development is 30-40%. But sometimes it reaches 60%.
In addition, the choice of a particular house depends on the answers to a few more questions.
- Will it be a summer, seasonal, or permanent home? If the house is summer, you can consider the option of a more compact size. For permanent residence, a bigger house is needed so that every member of the family is comfortable.
- How do you plan to use the area around? Do you need a big garden? Or a vegetable garden? If so, then you will have to give up the size of the house.
- How many people will live in the house? What is the size of your family? Does it have small children and elderly relatives? Obviously, the larger the family, the more space it needs to live. And if there are children and elderly family members, it may be worth considering a one-story project.
- Your lifestyle: how much time do you spend at home? How often do you receive guests? If you are used to staying at home only overnight, you may not need a large kitchen and dining room. If you often visit friends and family, plan for a spacious living room and at least one small guest bedroom.
How to equip 6 acres with your own hands in the country: 5 steps to the perfect design
Suitable architectural styles
If desired, a chic three-story Victorian-style mansion can also be placed on a small plot. The main question is, is it necessary? Architects and designers believe that in residential development, the building should be organically integrated into the environment, and not suppress it. This directly applies to the size. On 6 acres, a small building will look good. Then there will be more «air», free space for landscape design, arrangement of the economic part and a small garden, unless, of course, there is a desire to grow something. What kind of house can be built on 6 acres so that it looks appropriate and harmonious?
Modern house in the spirit of minimalism
Straight lines, clear, geometric shapes, large windows as a connecting element between the building and the surrounding nature, a flat roof — this is what such a building looks like. The color for facades is more often chosen in white, gray or natural, natural shades that will make the house part of the landscape. Stone is used as a material for construction: ceramics, bricks, gas blocks, etc. But you can also find wooden options.
Minimalism in the interior: 5 style rules and design tips + 70 beautiful photos
These are buildings in the spirit of a village barn and barn.
The characteristic features of such houses can be described as follows.
- Large windows along the main facade, second light.
- The elongated rectangular shape of the building itself.
- Double roof.
- Wide massive front door.
- Lack of outbuildings. Only the presence of an open terrace is allowed.
- Wood is used as a material for construction or at least external cladding.
Country, chalet, Provence, Russian log cabin. For the construction of rustic-style houses, wood or stone is usually used. The feeling of raw, «wild» material is welcome.
Such projects are distinguished by maximum proximity to nature and the environment. They look cozy and intimate. Including thanks to the use of muted, natural, natural shades in the finish.
Such a house reminds us of the architecture of medieval Germany. But at the same time it looks modern and relevant. For what? First of all, thanks to the huge panoramic windows. In such projects, they occupy an entire wall.
The main external decor is the numerous vertical and horizontal beams that cross the facades. Today they do not have to be wooden. Metal options are also used. Half-timbered houses usually have a triangular gable roof. In the classic version — tiled. Construction technology may be different. But the main options are: frame-panel and glass-topped. The frame is assembled from a bar, and the gaps are filled in the first case with special panels, in the second — with double-glazed windows.
What is half-timbered house building technology and what is its peculiarity
These houses are characterized by restraint, simplicity of lines, as well as practicality and functionality. They are not characterized by an abundance of decor. Rationality and quality are at the forefront.
The main material for building houses in the Scandinavian style is wood. It can be a structure erected using frame technology, or a building made of timber. The roof can be either single-pitched or double-pitched. In addition, houses usually feature large windows.
Scandinavian house: 4 wonderful projects where you want to settle
Overview of finished projects with layout
In this section, we have collected several projects with plans for houses on 6 acres. Let’s start with the more expensive ones and gradually move on to the more budgetary ones.
One-story building in a modern style, with a flat roof. The total area is 80 sq. m. Building area: 107.6 sq. m. The walls are made of gas blocks. The roof is double guided. The authors of the project note that this house will be comfortable for a family of 3-4 people. The layout includes a kitchen-living room with a dining area, two bedrooms with adjoining dressing rooms, a common dressing room in the hallway, and a bathroom. There is also a spacious terrace.
This house can be used as a warm cottage, guest or auxiliary. At the same time, it has everything you need for a comfortable stay.
The total area of the building is only 68 sq. m. Dimensions: 8 × 10 meters. The layout was developed in two versions: both for a residential building and for a guest house. In the variant of a residential building on the ground floor, there are: a living room, a kitchen, a sofa-cinema, a bathroom, a pantry, a vestibule. It is also possible to equip a terrace, a carport or add another living room. On the second, mezzanine floor, there is a bedroom-study, a bathroom-laundry room, a bedroom with a dressing room. The walls of the bungalow are made of foam concrete, the foundation is a slab.
Glued beam house
A project for connoisseurs of wooden houses. One-story house made of glued laminated timber with an area of 108 sq. m.
The layout includes a living room, kitchen, three bedrooms, a bathroom and a boiler room. The living room also has a second light.
Building a house from glued laminated timber: how much time and money it will take
Frame house with a second light
The total area of this one-story compact building is 111.2 square meters. m. Building area — 125.5 square meters. m. Dimensions: 9.5 × 14.
Everything you need fit inside: a kitchen-living room, two bedrooms, a wardrobe, a utility room, a bathroom and even a steam room. Outside there is a small porch. The foundation is planned from screw piles, the walls are built using frame technology.
Frame house: what you can and cannot save on during construction
Bath house (or temporary house)
This is a multifunctional project. It can be either a full-fledged country house, or a temporary house for the period of construction of a permanent one, and then serve as a guest or outbuilding.
In addition, this building can be converted into a bathhouse. Area — 45 sq. m. Dimensions — 7 × 9 meters. Construction material — timber. According to the layout, the house can accommodate a kitchen-living room, three bedrooms, a bathroom, a shower room.
Baths, saunas, swimming pools
Construction of a bath from a log: pros, cons, features of materials and process
Country house on 6 acres: a budget option
This project is suitable for those who plan to use it only as a summer cottage. It has everything you need to comfortably spend a few days.
The total area of the house is 40.8 square meters. m. Building area — 48 sq. m. m. Dimensions of the building — 6 × 8 meters. The house is built using frame technology on a foundation of screw piles. The layout includes a kitchen-living room, two bedrooms, a bathroom and a terrace.
The area of this small but cozy house is only 21 sq. m. And the dimensions are 6 × 4 meters. It might look quite simple, but the triangular roof terrace gives this miniature building a special charm.
The layout inside is as concise as possible. The house has a living room with a kitchen and dining area. Also one bedroom. Construction technology — frame. The foundation is on piles.
How they live in microhouses: 6 projects in which they have equipped everything you need